The foundations of this high-end island retreat for discerning travellers were laid in 1985 when a famous art collector, Dimitris Tsitouras, preserved the heritage of an old 1780 mansion with an extended renovation. His intention at the time was to host his friends visiting Santorini, but the building, which has served as a school, post office and private home over the centuries was destined to end up an exclusive hotel, named after its instigator.
An impressive example of local architecture, the old mansion which harmoniously resonates its surroundings, has been converted into five separate houses, each demonstrating a separate style and theme. In collaboration with British designer David Hicks, who advised him on colour schemes, Dimitris Tsitouras went about decorating each house around a different facet of Greek history, infusing each one with a particular personality, and thus creating a design hotel with museum-quality art work that dates back to the 19th century. It was the collectors' personal guests who encouraged him to turn this private hospitality landmark into a hotel open to the island's most demanding visitors.